Friday, January 9, 2009

Randomness

I thought I would care about who reads this and how many people read it. I don't. It has really become more of an outlet for me than anything else. I do not even know if my own hubby reads my blog. It doesn't matter because I tell him everything anyways. When I try and keep things to myself, it boils up in me and I just have to get it out. At least with him, that is.
My thoughts are going to wander a bit. Chrissy wants me to tell you the story of the Grey Lady. It is long and a little scary so I will keep that for another time when I have time to write it down. I am actually surprised I haven't written that one down before, but alas it is a long story.
Today I am feeling nostalgic. When we moved here, it was a fresh start. We weren't really friends with, well, anyone at the time. We had each other and we had Luke and that is all we needed. So we moved up here to get a new start on our new family. We wanted to venture out on our own. We did and we became a stronger family unit because of it. Michael and I had only each other for company so that is who we turned to for everything. Together we got through some tough times and we came out the other end closer and more in love than when we started.
Making friends in Wisconsin proved to be a challenge. Most of the people we met were born and raised here. They went to college here. Now they live and work here. They have had the same friends since they were in Kindergarten together. It was difficult for us to find anyone who would let us into that close circle. We did, however find friends and we have some close friends that we cherish very much.
BUT, (you knew there was a but here, right)...it is hard sometimes. We have been here for 14 years now. When we go out for drinks or when we get together with friends, we never reminisce. We don't really have anything to reminisce about.
Now that we are all on Facebook and the like I miss having people that I have known forever. I miss talking to people that can help me remember some of the things I have forgotten (which is a lot of things, by the way). I would like to be one of the people that have known my friends since Kindergarten. I would like to play "remember when". Not all the time because that is tiresome. But sometimes.
It would be nice to know the people who married the people I have known for a long time. For instance, I have a friend who was one of my first friends when we moved to Tyler. That was in 1979. She was so nice to me then. Thanks to Facebook we have reconnected and she is still so nice. I would love to know her husband and her two beautiful daughters. But I live in WinterLand. It is just too far away now.
And that is not even counting the sisters and brothers that we miss. Whew! could I tell you about how much we miss them? It would take way too long. But you get my drift.
So I am feeling nostalgic for The Homeland.
And I am wondering why in the world we allowed our 15 year old son to get an electric guitar.
Random enough for ya?

3 comments:

  1. I totally get what you are saying. Since Kelly and I got married in our 30s... the people we met who were married had been married a lot longer and had kids and already had close friendships established. The fact that I had just moved back here after being gone for 10 years, was another disconnect.
    I get what you are say... we struggle with that too...but just for different reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie - I am one of those Wisconsinites and I don't have any friends from high school or college.....all of my friends I've met at LSS. And most of the reminiscing I do is with your mom and Chacha Poopie. Things change when you get older, I guess.

    Auntie Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I feel that way and I am in Texas. I see friends about once a month between work and boys.

    It bums me out. But FB helps!

    ReplyDelete